Posts for category: Brain Trauma
Signs of a Traumatic Brain Injury
Typically, a traumatic brain injury is due to a violent blow to the head caused by a car accident, fall, or other trauma. Although a mild traumatic brain injury may only have temporary effects on the cells of the brain, a more severe injury can result in torn tissue, contusions, and serious physical damage to the brain. If left untreated, these injuries can cause permanent brain damage. The doctors at Winchester Neurological Consultants specialize in the treatment of traumatic brain injury.
Symptoms of Traumatic Brain Injury
Patients who have suffered head trauma and experience one or more of the following symptoms should seek medical advice as soon as possible. Bear in mind that in some cases symptoms will appear immediately, while in other cases, they may not appear until days or weeks after the traumatic event.
- Brief loss of consciousness
- Feeling dazed, disoriented, or confused
- Blurred vision, ringing in the ears
- Loss of smell
- Nausea or vomiting
- Sudden drowsiness
- Speech difficulties
- Loss of balance
- Sensitivity to sound or light
- Problems with memory or concentration
- Mood swings
- Anxiety or depression
Symptoms of more severe brain trauma may include:
- Loss of consciousness for up to several hours
- Persistent headache
- Seizures or convulsions
- Pupil dilation
- Ringling or numbness in the extremities
- Severe confusion
- Slurred speech
When You Should See a Doctor
Traumatic events that may lead to brain injury include:
- Falls: from a roof, ladder, or from the bath, bed, or stairs.
- A vehicular accident: A collision involving one or more motorcycles, bicycles, cars, or trucks or a vehicle and a pedestrian.
- A sports injury: Traumatic brain injuries are common in several sports including boxing, football, skateboarding, hockey, and soccer.
If you live in Winchester and you think you may be suffering from a brain injury, call Winchester Neurological Consultants at (540) 667-1828 to schedule an appointment.