Posts for category: Sleep Disorders
Your time is precious, and you have got things to do, so you must get enough sleep at night to be active. Sleep is one of our most fundamental needs as humans, and yet many of us will experience some kind of sleep disorder during our lifetime.
Sleep deprivation can lead to several serious medical conditions and even reduce your lifespan. Everyone has a bad night’s sleep once in a while, but a consistent pattern of poor sleep may indicate an underlying sleep disorder that requires treatment. Winchester Neurological Consultants is your sleep disorders clinic in Winchester, VA. Our team can help you feel your best and get some rest.
Some common types of sleep disorders include:
- Insomnia, in which you have difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep throughout the night
- Sleep apnea, in which you experience abnormal patterns in breathing while you are asleep. There are several types of sleep apnea
- Restless legs syndrome is a type of sleep movement disorder
- Narcolepsy is a condition characterized by extreme sleepiness during the day and falling asleep suddenly during the day
What Causes Sleep Disorders?
Because sleep disorders vary, they have several causes. Some are due to your nervous or respiratory system, while others are based on your habits. Some of the habits that can affect your quality of sleep include:
- Caffeine and alcohol consumption
- An irregular schedule, such as working the night shift
- Aging, because as people age, they often get less sleep or spend less time in the deep, restful stage of sleep. They are also more easily awakened
Visit Your Sleep Disorders Clinic in Winchester, VA
If you are concerned that you may have developed a sleep disorder, make sure to call our office right away. Our experienced team can perform a diagnostic screening test for you in order to diagnose you. From there, we can determine the best course of treatment.
To schedule an appointment at your sleep disorders clinic in Winchester, VA, call Winchester Neurological Consultants at (540) 667-1828.
It’s important to recognize the signs and symptoms of sleep apnea.
We all know that sleep is critical for health and well-being, but if you wake up exhausted and find yourself having trouble staying away throughout the day, you could be dealing with sleep apnea. Sleep apnea can’t be cured, but our Winchester, VA, neurologists can diagnose and help you manage your symptoms to improve sleep quality and your health.
What are the warning signs of sleep apnea?
If you are dealing with sleep issues, many sleep disorders could be to blame. Here are some signs that you might be dealing with sleep apnea,
- Your partner comments that you stop breathing for several seconds throughout the night
- You wake up gasping for air
- You are a chronic snorer, or you snore most nights loudly
- You deal with frequent morning headaches
- You experience brain fog and trouble concentrating
- You wake up exhausted despite getting a full night’s rest
- You find yourself more irritable and prone to mood swings
- You find yourself falling asleep at your desk or behind the wheel of your car
If you said “yes” to some of these statements above, you could likely be dealing with sleep apnea. The problem is that many people don’t even realize they have it. Still, it’s important that you schedule an evaluation with our Winchester, VA, neurologists so that we can perform the appropriate sleep tests to diagnose you.
What happens if I don’t treat sleep apnea?
Ignoring or leaving sleep apnea untreated is detrimental to your health and wellbeing. Not only does it impact your sleep quality, but also it can negatively affect your work performance and relationships. It can also leave you prone to injuries and accidents. Worse yet, untreated sleep apnea can also increase your risk for,
- Heart attack
- Cardiovascular disease
- Abnormal heart rhythm
- High blood pressure
Why should I turn to a neurologist?
A neurologist specializes in treating conditions affecting central and peripheral nervous systems. While a sleep specialist can treat obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) since this is a breathing disorder, if you are dealing with central sleep apnea, you’ll want a neurologist who knows how to treat this central nervous system condition.
In fact, our Winchester, VA, neurologists treat sleep apnea and other types of sleep problems, including insomnia and narcolepsy. We’ll be able to detect whether your sleep apnea could be neurological and provide you with a treatment plan to help you manage your symptoms.
Do you suspect that you might have sleep apnea? If so, our Winchester, VA, team can perform a sleep study to determine your sleep problems. To get started, call Winchester Neurological Consultants at (540) 667-1828.
The sleep disorder known as sleep apnea is a severe condition that should be addressed by a medical professional. The physicians at Winchester Neurological Consultants in Winchester, VA, are sleep apnea experts and can evaluate you today.
What is Sleep Apnea?
People will sleep apnea will stop repeatedly breathing during sleep, leading to a decreased flow of oxygen to your brain and body.
There are two kinds of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA): Most common and is caused by an airway blockage like the soft tissue in the back of the throat that may collapse during sleep.
- Central Sleep Apnea: This is caused by the brain failing to transmit signals to your muscles to breathe.
What Are the Signs of Sleep Apnea?
Snoring is one sign of sleep apnea, but it is not found in all patients and doesn't always mean people who snore suffer from the disorder. When you sleep, you might pause your breathing at different times or take very shallow breaths. If you sleep alone, you may never know that this occurs. However, if you have frequent fatigue and tiredness throughout the day, it may be caused by sleep apnea.
Other possible signs of sleep apnea include:
- Loud snoring
- Waking up to sore or dry throat and mouth
- Waking up in the night with a sudden choking or gasping sensation
- Insomnia and restless sleep
- Lack of energy during the day
- Morning headaches
- Mood swings and forgetfulness
- Decreased sex drive
- Dizziness when awaking from sleep
If you experience some or all of these symptoms, the medical professionals at Winchester Neurological Consultants in Winchester, VA, can evaluate you for sleep apnea.
Am I at Risk for Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apneas affect people of all ages. Certain risk factors should be considered when determining if you are at high risks, such as:
- Over the age of 40
- Overweight or obese
- Large neck
- Deviated septum or other nasal obstruction
- Allergies or sinus issues
- Large tongue, tonsils, or a small jaw bone
How Does Sleep Apnea Affect Me?
A severe sleep disorder, like sleep apnea, can cause significant issues if left untreated. You will be at higher risk of severe diseases such as:
- Heart Failure
Furthermore, your personal and professional life may be affected if you are too tired to perform your daily activities.
If you are at risk or experiencing possible sleep apnea symptoms, please don't wait and call Winchester Neurological Consultants located in Winchester, VA, today at (540) 667-1828.
How your doctors in Winchester, VA, can help if you have sleep apnea
Have you been told you snore? Do you wake up feeling as if you haven’t slept? If so, you could have sleep apnea, which can have devastating consequences to your health. The good news is, your doctor can treat sleep apnea, so you can sleep soundly again.
The doctors at Winchester Neurological Consultants in Winchester, VA, offer a wide range of medical and neurological services, including treatment for sleep apnea.
So, what exactly is sleep apnea?
It’s a condition during which the tissue at the back of your throat relaxes while you sleep. This tissue can partially or completely block your airway, causing loss of oxygen to your vital organs including your heart and brain.
If sleep apnea goes untreated, it can lead to you having:
- A stroke
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Memory problems
So, how can you tell if you might have sleep apnea? Watch out for these common signs and symptoms:
- Frequent loud snoring
- Having a sore throat in the morning
- Waking up with a headache
- Suddenly waking up gasping or choking
- Feeling groggy or sleepy during the day
If you think you might have sleep apnea, it’s time to schedule an appointment with your doctor, who might recommend a sleep study to determine if you do have sleep apnea.
After a diagnosis is made, your doctor will recommend one of these effective treatments:
- Wearing a CPAP (Continuous Positive Air Pressure) device while you sleep. The CPAP consists of a mask that fits over your mouth and nose. This is connected to a machine that delivers oxygen to you throughout the night.
- Wearing an oral appliance, which holds your lower jaw forward while you sleep. This device keeps your airway open, allowing a free flow of oxygen throughout the night.
To find out more about the causes, signs, symptoms, and treatment of sleep apnea, call the doctors of Winchester Neurological Consultants in Winchester, VA, at (540) 667-1828. Call now, and sleep better soon!
When your sleep is constantly disrupted, it affects your overall health. Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder that can be fairly dangerous if it goes undiagnosed. Luckily, your doctors at Winchester Neurological Consultants in Winchester, VA, are here to help you identify the signs of sleep apnea and help you get back to sleeping soundly.
What is Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea is when there are moments of blockage to the airway, causing momentary stops in breathing while sleeping. Sleep apnea can be caused by a number of things, including the tongue falling to the back of the mouth, a collapse of the airway muscles, or excess tissue blocking the airway.
Sleep apnea can severely disrupt your life and stop you from experiencing your normal routine. You may feel constant fatigue, lasting headaches in the morning, high blood pressure, and bouts of forgetfulness. If sleep apnea goes undiagnosed, it will not only affect your daily life, but there is a chance of suffocation.
Symptoms of Sleep Apnea
Sleep apnea can be characterized by various symptoms, such as:
- Gasping for breath while sleeping.
- Waking suddenly throughout the night.
- Recurring insomnia.
- Excessive sleepiness during the daytime.
- Waking up with a dry mouth.
- Trouble paying attention while awake.
When you’re struggling with sleep apnea, you may find it hard to focus on daily life and it may be hard to function at work or school because you are not getting the quality of sleep that your body needs. Your doctor in Winchester, VA, can help you identify any symptoms that you may not realize you are struggling with, and from there, can determine what form of treatment will work best for you.
Contact Your Doctor Today!
Being able to sleep uninterrupted throughout the night is important to your overall well-being. If you find yourself struggling with any of the symptoms mentioned above, it’s important to contact your doctor at Winchester Neurological Consultants in Winchester, VA, to ask any questions or to schedule an appointment. Call today at (540) 667-1828!