Posts for: May, 2021
Accidents happen, and when one involves your head there is a potential risk for a mild or severe concussion depending on the situation. Also known as traumatic brain injuries, concussions result in consequences that require medical attention. At Winchester Neurological Consultants, your doctors have developed a standardized concussion protocol and work as team physicians with high schools and private schools near Winchester, VA. Visit our concussion clinic to begin your road to recovery.
What is a Concussion?
A concussion is a traumatic brain injury that occurs without you falling unconscious. No one wants to feel their brain rattle, but these injuries often result from violent shaking of the head or sudden jerky movements. Risk factors for concussions heighten when you have a previous history of them or participate in contact sports, like football, soccer, or basketball without the right safety equipment. These factors can reduce when sports are played correctly. It also helps to keep your home safe to prevent slips and falls. Please give our Winchester, VA office a call if you experience one or more of the following after an injury:
- Physical and cognitive fatigue
- Vomiting, nausea, blurred vision, confusion
- Headache, dizziness, pressure in the head
- Sleep more or less than usual, have trouble falling or staying asleep
- Slurred speech, ringing in the ears, temporary loss of consciousness
- Feelings of excessive emotion, sadness, anger, anxiety, or irritability
- Memory delays or loss, difficulty concentrating, problems remembering new information, or trouble thinking clearly
If you've experienced a blow to the head from an injury concussion symptoms can last for hours, days, weeks, and even months. A proper diagnosis entails a neurological examination, cognitive testing, in addition to imaging tests. We can discuss treatment options during your consultation.
For more information about concussions, other conditions we treat, and services provided at Winchester Neurological Consultants, visit our website. Please call (540) 667-1828 to schedule an appointment in our Winchester, VA office.