Posts for: May, 2022
How your neurologists in Winchester, VA, can help when you have a concussion
A concussion isn’t just painful. It can also lead to damage to your brain. Your neurologist knows how to treat a concussion, to keep your brain and your mind healthy. The neurologists of Winchester Neurological Consultants in Winchester, VA, provide a wide variety of neurological services, including treatment for a concussion.
A concussion is different from a headache. A concussion is a traumatic brain injury affecting how your brain works. A concussion can be caused by:
- A bad fall
- A blow to the head
- Severe shaking of the head and upper body
- A sports injury from playing a contact sport
You might have a concussion if you experience:
- A severe headache
- Blurred vision
- Ringing in your ears
- Nausea and vomiting
- Confusion or brain fog
- Extreme fatigue or dizziness
When you have a concussion, people around you might:
- Hear you having slurred speech
- Notice you being unable to answer questions
- See you have a dazed, confused appearance
- Notice you being forgetful and asking the same question multiple times
The long-term effects of a concussion might include:
- Being sensitive to light
- Being sensitive to noise
- Personality changes
- Memory problems
- Lack of concentration
- Problems sleeping
You can do a lot to prevent a concussion. Remember to:
- Always wear protective gear when playing a sport
- Always wear a helmet if you are biking, riding a motorcycle, skiing, snowboarding, or other risky activity
- Always wear your seatbelt when you are in a vehicle
- Make sure your environment is well-lit, with nothing you can trip over
- Exercise to keep your legs strong and help you maintain your balance
If you or someone you know may have a concussion, you need to visit your neurologist. Using a combination of cognitive and neurological testing, and imaging studies, your neurologist can determine whether you are suffering from a concussion, and provide appropriate treatment.
To find out more about the causes and symptoms of a concussion, call the neurologists of Winchester Neurological Consultants in Winchester, VA, at (540) 667-1828. Call today.
How your neurologists in the Memory Care Clinic in Winchester, VA, can help with memory loss
Are you having trouble remembering to do important tasks? Do you get lost while driving a route you’ve driven many times before? It’s normal to forget things once in a while, but if you are continually forgetting things or losing items, it could be a sign of a more serious condition. You should be evaluated by a neurologist.
The neurologists at Winchester Neurological Consultants in Winchester, VA, provide comprehensive neurological services, including treatment for memory loss.
At the Memory Care Clinic of Winchester Neurological Consultants, your neurologist can help with memory concerns, and the first step is a thorough evaluation.
Your doctor will perform a comprehensive examination and find the cause of your memory problems. Memory issues can be caused by a number of things, which include:
- Side effects of medications
- An underlying medical condition
- Sleep and mood disorders
- Neurological complications
Your neurological examination may consist of:
- Imaging studies, including an MRI, a CT scan, or a PET scan
- Cognitive and neurological testing, including reflexes, balance, and sensory response
- A sleep study and screening for mood disorders
- Laboratory testing of blood and body fluids to check for imbalances that could cause memory issues
Memory issues could be an early sign of Alzheimer’s disease or dementia. You should contact your neurologist if you are experiencing any of these signs and symptoms:
- Short term memory loss
- Losing important papers or other items
- Forgetting to pay bills or go to appointments
- Problems performing everyday tasks like cooking and cleaning
- Going out and forgetting how to get to your location
Your memory is precious and needs to be protected. Your neurologist can help by providing a variety of treatments for memory issues including:
- Medication to help improve memory
- Memory and focus exercises to help your brain function
- Lifestyle modification to help you cope with memory issues
To find out more about the diagnosis, management, and treatment of dementia, talk with the experts. Call the neurologists of Winchester Neurological Consultants in Winchester, VA, at (540) 667-1828. Call now.
Are you a migraine sufferer? When is it time to see a neurologist?
While everyone will experience a headache during their lifetime, those who deal with migraines genuinely understand pain. Migraines are severe and often debilitating headaches that can cause light sensitivity, auras, nausea and vomiting. If you are having trouble getting your migraines under control, it’s time to turn to our Winchester, VA, neurologists.
What makes a migraine different from a headache?
Most people assume a migraine is just an intense headache, but it’s more than that. A migraine is considered a neurological disorder that can impact pathways and chemicals in the brain. These changes within the brain can lead to a migraine, which can cause,
- Severe pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Sensitivity to light and sound
Many people with migraines are in so much pain that they have to lie in bed in the dark, as light and sounds are too much.
What causes migraines?
Our Winchester, VA, team will look into many factors when you come into our clinic for migraine treatment. Common migraine triggers include,
- Genetics/family history of migraines
- Environmental triggers such as lack of sleep, certain foods, weather changes, and stress
- Hormonal changes (more common in women)
When should I see a neurologist?
If you are dealing with migraines regularly, you owe it to yourself to turn to our trusted team of experts to find out what’s going on and get the help you deserve. You should schedule an important for our team if,
- Your migraine lasts for more than a day
- You also notice changes in vision along with your migraine
- Your migraine pain is getting worse
- You also experience seizures with your migraines
- Your migraines are impacting your life and activities
You need to seek immediate medical attention if,
- You are dealing with the worst head pain you’ve ever experienced
- You lose your vision
- You lose consciousness
- You can’t stop vomiting
- Your headache persists for more than 72 hours
How are migraines treated?
We will go through your medical history and ask you questions about your symptoms during your visit. From there, a physical examination, as well as additional diagnostic imaging tests such as an MRI, may be recommended to determine the cause of your migraines. Once we determine that you are dealing with migraines, we can determine the best treatment approach. Most individuals are prescribed medications designed to alleviate symptoms or prevent attacks from occurring.
Winchester Neurological Consultants is a Winchester, VA, neurological clinic that can help you get your migraines under control. To schedule an evaluation with our team, call us today at (540) 667-1828.