Posts for: June, 2022
How your neurologists in Winchester, VA, can help you recover after a stroke
A stroke can be devastating, making an impact on your quality of life. It’s important to seek out support and help from friends and family as you recover. Your neurologist is there to help speed your recovery too.
The neurologists at Winchester Neurological Consultants in Winchester, VA, provide a wide range of medical services, including stroke treatment to help you recover from a stroke.
Did you know there are two different types of strokes? Your treatment can vary, depending on the type of stroke you experience.
The first type of stroke is an ischemic stroke, caused by a blood clot which has blocked the amount of blood flowing to your brain. This is also the most common type of stroke.
Treatment for an ischemic stroke centers around breaking up the clot, so your blood can flow freely again. Common treatment includes:
IV administration of Alteplase medication which breaks up the clot. It’s particularly effective during the early stages of a stroke.
Endovascular treatment to remove the clot and re-establish blood flow. This procedure is most helpful if it can be used within the first 6 hours of a stroke, but it is still helpful if used within 24 hours.
The second type of stroke is a hemorrhagic stroke, caused by a ruptured blood vessel in your brain, which results in uncontrolled bleeding in your brain. A hemorrhagic stroke can be caused by chronic high blood pressure, an aneurysm, or abnormal blood vessels.
Treatment for a hemorrhagic stroke centers around stopping the bleeding in your brain. Common treatment includes:
- Treating the source of the bleeding using a catheter
- Surgical therapy to treat an aneurysm
Remember that a stroke can be fatal, so it’s important to call emergency services immediately if you or someone you know is experiencing:
- Dizziness or confusion
- Light headedness or fainting
- Numbness in the face, arm, or leg, usually only on one side
- Blurred vision or vision loss in one eye
- Problems speaking or understanding what others are saying
- A sudden, excruciating headache
- Unsteadiness or being unable to walk
To find out more about the types of stroke and how your neurologist can treat a stroke, call the neurologists at Winchester Neurological Consultants in Winchester, VA. You can reach them by calling (540) 667-1828, so call now.
Your time is precious, and you have got things to do, so you must get enough sleep at night to be active. Sleep is one of our most fundamental needs as humans, and yet many of us will experience some kind of sleep disorder during our lifetime.
Sleep deprivation can lead to several serious medical conditions and even reduce your lifespan. Everyone has a bad night’s sleep once in a while, but a consistent pattern of poor sleep may indicate an underlying sleep disorder that requires treatment. Winchester Neurological Consultants is your sleep disorders clinic in Winchester, VA. Our team can help you feel your best and get some rest.
Some common types of sleep disorders include:
- Insomnia, in which you have difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep throughout the night
- Sleep apnea, in which you experience abnormal patterns in breathing while you are asleep. There are several types of sleep apnea
- Restless legs syndrome is a type of sleep movement disorder
- Narcolepsy is a condition characterized by extreme sleepiness during the day and falling asleep suddenly during the day
What Causes Sleep Disorders?
Because sleep disorders vary, they have several causes. Some are due to your nervous or respiratory system, while others are based on your habits. Some of the habits that can affect your quality of sleep include:
- Caffeine and alcohol consumption
- An irregular schedule, such as working the night shift
- Aging, because as people age, they often get less sleep or spend less time in the deep, restful stage of sleep. They are also more easily awakened
Visit Your Sleep Disorders Clinic in Winchester, VA
If you are concerned that you may have developed a sleep disorder, make sure to call our office right away. Our experienced team can perform a diagnostic screening test for you in order to diagnose you. From there, we can determine the best course of treatment.
To schedule an appointment at your sleep disorders clinic in Winchester, VA, call Winchester Neurological Consultants at (540) 667-1828.