If migraines are affecting your quality of life we can help you manage your symptoms.
Did you know that migraines are the 3rdmore prevalent illness and the 6thmost debilitating illness in the world? Migraines are severe headaches that can affect both men and women of all ages, from teens to older adults. While there are some people who may experience migraine attacks once or twice a month, there are some people who deal with them daily. From the office of our Winchester, VA, neurologists, find out more about migraines and how we can help.
Is it a migraine?
So, how can you tell if you are dealing with a migraine or just a really awful headache? While a headache can be painful, a migraine is actually a neurological disease that causes severe and sudden throbbing and stabbing pain, usually originating on one side. Along with severe pain, the patient may also experience,
- Nausea and vomiting
- Sensitivity to light or sound
- Tingling or numbness in the face or extremities
- Visual disturbances (also known as auras)
Some patients may experience these symptoms prior to the migraine’s onset. A migraine can last anywhere from four hours to 3 days. Patients who have anxiety, depression or other mental disorders are also more likely to deal with chronic migraines.
When should I see a doctor about my migraines?
It’s time to see a neurologist in Winchester, VA, if,
- Your migraines are interfering with your life
- You are dealing with weekly or daily migraines
- You can’t seem to get your symptoms under control
- You are self-medicating regularly (taking over-the-counter pain relievers more than twice a week)
How are migraines treated?
Here in our office, we offer a migraine clinic, which provides diagnosis and treatment plans for patients suffering from migraines. Even though migraines cannot be cured we can create specialized treatment programs to reduce the severity and frequency of your attacks. Some of these treatment options include,
- Prescription migraine medications
- Stress management & relaxation techniques
- Diet and lifestyle changes
- Cognitive-behavioral therapies
If you are dealing with migraines in Winchester, VA, then it’s time to find an effective way to get your migraines under control. Call Winchester Neurological Consultants today to schedule your consultation.