Your time is precious, and you have got things to do, so you must get enough sleep at night to be active. Sleep is one of our most fundamental needs as humans, and yet many of us will experience some kind of sleep disorder during our lifetime.
Sleep deprivation can lead to several serious medical conditions and even reduce your lifespan. Everyone has a bad night’s sleep once in a while, but a consistent pattern of poor sleep may indicate an underlying sleep disorder that requires treatment. Winchester Neurological Consultants is your sleep disorders clinic in Winchester, VA. Our team can help you feel your best and get some rest.
Some common types of sleep disorders include:
- Insomnia, in which you have difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep throughout the night
- Sleep apnea, in which you experience abnormal patterns in breathing while you are asleep. There are several types of sleep apnea
- Restless legs syndrome is a type of sleep movement disorder
- Narcolepsy is a condition characterized by extreme sleepiness during the day and falling asleep suddenly during the day
What Causes Sleep Disorders?
Because sleep disorders vary, they have several causes. Some are due to your nervous or respiratory system, while others are based on your habits. Some of the habits that can affect your quality of sleep include:
- Caffeine and alcohol consumption
- An irregular schedule, such as working the night shift
- Aging, because as people age, they often get less sleep or spend less time in the deep, restful stage of sleep. They are also more easily awakened
Visit Your Sleep Disorders Clinic in Winchester, VA
If you are concerned that you may have developed a sleep disorder, make sure to call our office right away. Our experienced team can perform a diagnostic screening test for you in order to diagnose you. From there, we can determine the best course of treatment.
To schedule an appointment at your sleep disorders clinic in Winchester, VA, call Winchester Neurological Consultants at (540) 667-1828.