How your neurologists in Winchester, VA, can help you get relief from migraines
If you suffer from migraines, you already know how they can impact your life. They can impact your ability to function and enjoy your day. Fortunately, your neurologist can help you get relief from migraines.
The neurologists at Winchester Neurological Consultants in Winchester, VA, provide a wide range of neurological services, including diagnosis and treatment of migraines.
You need to know the facts about migraines. These are some of the most frequently asked questions about migraines:
What Happens During a Migraine?
A migraine will cause severe pounding and throbbing, typically occurring on one side of the head. Migraines can cause nausea, vomiting, and keep you from your daily activities.
What Are the Risk Factors for Migraines?
There are a few factors that increase your risk of migraines, including:
- Age, with migraines peaking when you are in your 30’s
- Gender, with women being three times more likely to suffer migraines
- Hormonal changes, with women suffering migraines around their hormonal cycles
- Family history, with family members suffering migraines, it is more likely you will too
What Can Trigger a Migraine?
If you suffer from migraines, you should avoid:
- Salty or processed foods
- Skipping meals or fasting
- Food additives including sweeteners and preservatives
- Drinking alcohol or excess caffeine
- Excessive stress
- Bright lights, glare, or loud sounds
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Environmental changes
- Vasodilating medications or oral contraceptives
What Are the Treatments for Migraines?
Treatment for migraines includes medications to help prevent future attacks and lessen the symptoms. These medications can include:
- Blood pressure-lowering medications
- Tricyclic antidepressants
- Botox injections
- Anti-seizure medications
- Injections of monoclonal antibodies
- Triptan medications
- Prescription pain relieving medications
Your neurologist may also recommend lifestyle modifications to avoid triggers, and stress relaxation techniques to help prevent migraines brought on by stress.
To learn more about the causes, risk factors, and treatment of migraines, talk with the experts. Call the neurologists at Winchester Neurological Consultants in Winchester, VA. You can reach them in the office by calling (540) 667-1828, so call now.