Are you a migraine sufferer? When is it time to see a neurologist?
While everyone will experience a headache during their lifetime, those who deal with migraines genuinely understand pain. Migraines are severe and often debilitating headaches that can cause light sensitivity, auras, nausea and vomiting. If you are having trouble getting your migraines under control, it’s time to turn to our Winchester, VA, neurologists.
What makes a migraine different from a headache?
Most people assume a migraine is just an intense headache, but it’s more than that. A migraine is considered a neurological disorder that can impact pathways and chemicals in the brain. These changes within the brain can lead to a migraine, which can cause,
- Severe pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Sensitivity to light and sound
Many people with migraines are in so much pain that they have to lie in bed in the dark, as light and sounds are too much.
What causes migraines?
Our Winchester, VA, team will look into many factors when you come into our clinic for migraine treatment. Common migraine triggers include,
- Genetics/family history of migraines
- Environmental triggers such as lack of sleep, certain foods, weather changes, and stress
- Hormonal changes (more common in women)
When should I see a neurologist?
If you are dealing with migraines regularly, you owe it to yourself to turn to our trusted team of experts to find out what’s going on and get the help you deserve. You should schedule an important for our team if,
- Your migraine lasts for more than a day
- You also notice changes in vision along with your migraine
- Your migraine pain is getting worse
- You also experience seizures with your migraines
- Your migraines are impacting your life and activities
You need to seek immediate medical attention if,
- You are dealing with the worst head pain you’ve ever experienced
- You lose your vision
- You lose consciousness
- You can’t stop vomiting
- Your headache persists for more than 72 hours
How are migraines treated?
We will go through your medical history and ask you questions about your symptoms during your visit. From there, a physical examination, as well as additional diagnostic imaging tests such as an MRI, may be recommended to determine the cause of your migraines. Once we determine that you are dealing with migraines, we can determine the best treatment approach. Most individuals are prescribed medications designed to alleviate symptoms or prevent attacks from occurring.
Winchester Neurological Consultants is a Winchester, VA, neurological clinic that can help you get your migraines under control. To schedule an evaluation with our team, call us today at (540) 667-1828.