Managing your multiple sclerosis (MS) requires a partnership between you, your neurologist and other healthcare professionals. If you've been struggling with frequent MS attacks or worsening of your symptoms, your neurologists at Winchester Neurological Consultants in Winchester, VA, can help you explore treatment options.
Dealing with MS symptoms and relapses can be challenging and frustrating. Fortunately, a variety of treatments and therapies can offer relief for common MS symptoms, including blurred or double vision, mood changes, numbness, muscle spasms, fatigue, dizziness and bladder control issues.
The treatment plan your neurologist prepares during your visit to the Winchester neurology office takes into account the type of MS you have, the severity of your symptoms, your lifestyle, and any other medical conditions you may have. You'll work together with your doctor to create a plan that improves your symptoms and your quality of life.
Treatment options may include:
- Oral and Injectable Medications: A variety of drugs can decrease the risk of relapses and slow the progression of the disease. If one drug doesn't work well for you or causes unpleasant side effects, your neurologist can recommend another option.
- Intravenous Infusions: Infusions of Tysabri are offered at the Winchester neurology office on a monthly basis. Tysabri infusions can reduce the severity of relapses and also decrease relapse frequency if you have a relapsing form of MS. In some cases, the medication may also improve your mental function.
- Other Medications: Your neurologist can also prescribe medications to treat specific MS symptoms. Medications may relieve muscle stiffness and spasms, improve your walking speed, and treat insomnia, fatigue, and bowel or bladder issues.
- Physical Therapy: Physical therapy sessions strengthen and stretch your muscles and may make it easier to manage gait, flexibility and balance problems.
- Occupational Therapy: Your occupational therapist can teach you new ways to perform your usual daily activities and help you maintain your independence.
You may also benefit by making a few lifestyle changes. Eating a healthy diet, getting adequate exercise and sleep, and reducing stress may improve your health and help you decrease your risk of relapses.
Do you need help managing your MS? Call your Winchester, VA, neurologists at Winchester Neurological Consultants at (540) 667-1828 to schedule your appointment.