How your doctors in Winchester, VA, can help you
Occasional snoring can be a common occurrence, but if you have been told that you snore loudly every night, it could be a sign of something more serious—sleep apnea. Truthfully, sleep apnea is a serious condition that can seriously shorten your life, necessitating prompt treatment from the experts. Fortunately, the doctors here at Winchester Neurological Consultants in Winchester, VA, offer a wide range of medical services, including several treatment options to manage your sleep apnea.
More about Sleep Apnea
Sleep apnea is caused by the tissue at the back of your throat relaxing while you sleep. The relaxed tissue blocks your airway, resulting in a lack of oxygen to your vital organs, including your brain. When your vital organs don’t receive enough oxygen, it can increase your risk of having a stroke, experiencing a heart attack, developing Alzheimer’s disease, and acquiring a number of other serious medical problems.
When you have sleep apnea, you will typically experience:
- Morning headaches
- Suddenly waking up gasping or choking
- Waking up with a sore throat
- Daytime sleepiness or grogginess
If you think that you may have sleep apnea, you should undergo diagnostic screening and testing from the doctors here at Winchester Neurological Consultants. They will determine how severe your sleep apnea is, and develop a comprehensive treatment plan that may include one of the following treatment options:
- An oral mandibular advancement appliance, which is a custom-made dental appliance you wear as you sleep; the appliance moves your lower jaw forward, maintaining an open airway throughout the night. The oral appliance is easy to wear, easy to maintain, and it is small and highly portable.
- A continuous positive air pressure device known as a CPAP, which is the most common treatment for sleep apnea; the device contains a mask that fits over your nose and mouth. The mask connects to tubing which is attached to a machine that supplies a continuous flow of air as you sleep. The CPAP is easy to clean and portable.
Concerned? Give Us a Call
Sleep apnea is serious, and requires the services of a professional. To learn more about sleep apnea and how your doctors can help, call the doctors at Winchester Neurological Consultants in Winchester, VA, today by dialing (540) 667-1828.