The sleep disorder known as sleep apnea is a severe condition that should be addressed by a medical professional. The physicians at Winchester Neurological Consultants in Winchester, VA, are sleep apnea experts and can evaluate you today.
What is Sleep Apnea?
People will sleep apnea will stop repeatedly breathing during sleep, leading to a decreased flow of oxygen to your brain and body.
There are two kinds of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA): Most common and is caused by an airway blockage like the soft tissue in the back of the throat that may collapse during sleep.
- Central Sleep Apnea: This is caused by the brain failing to transmit signals to your muscles to breathe.
What Are the Signs of Sleep Apnea?
Snoring is one sign of sleep apnea, but it is not found in all patients and doesn't always mean people who snore suffer from the disorder. When you sleep, you might pause your breathing at different times or take very shallow breaths. If you sleep alone, you may never know that this occurs. However, if you have frequent fatigue and tiredness throughout the day, it may be caused by sleep apnea.
Other possible signs of sleep apnea include:
- Loud snoring
- Waking up to sore or dry throat and mouth
- Waking up in the night with a sudden choking or gasping sensation
- Insomnia and restless sleep
- Lack of energy during the day
- Morning headaches
- Mood swings and forgetfulness
- Decreased sex drive
- Dizziness when awaking from sleep
If you experience some or all of these symptoms, the medical professionals at Winchester Neurological Consultants in Winchester, VA, can evaluate you for sleep apnea.
Am I at Risk for Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apneas affect people of all ages. Certain risk factors should be considered when determining if you are at high risks, such as:
- Over the age of 40
- Overweight or obese
- Large neck
- Deviated septum or other nasal obstruction
- Allergies or sinus issues
- Large tongue, tonsils, or a small jaw bone
How Does Sleep Apnea Affect Me?
A severe sleep disorder, like sleep apnea, can cause significant issues if left untreated. You will be at higher risk of severe diseases such as:
- Heart Failure
Furthermore, your personal and professional life may be affected if you are too tired to perform your daily activities.
If you are at risk or experiencing possible sleep apnea symptoms, please don't wait and call Winchester Neurological Consultants located in Winchester, VA, today at (540) 667-1828.