How your doctors in Winchester, VA, can help if you have sleep apnea
Have you been told you snore? Do you wake up feeling as if you haven’t slept? If so, you could have sleep apnea, which can have devastating consequences to your health. The good news is, your doctor can treat sleep apnea, so you can sleep soundly again.
The doctors at Winchester Neurological Consultants in Winchester, VA, offer a wide range of medical and neurological services, including treatment for sleep apnea.
So, what exactly is sleep apnea?
It’s a condition during which the tissue at the back of your throat relaxes while you sleep. This tissue can partially or completely block your airway, causing loss of oxygen to your vital organs including your heart and brain.
If sleep apnea goes untreated, it can lead to you having:
- A stroke
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Memory problems
So, how can you tell if you might have sleep apnea? Watch out for these common signs and symptoms:
- Frequent loud snoring
- Having a sore throat in the morning
- Waking up with a headache
- Suddenly waking up gasping or choking
- Feeling groggy or sleepy during the day
If you think you might have sleep apnea, it’s time to schedule an appointment with your doctor, who might recommend a sleep study to determine if you do have sleep apnea.
After a diagnosis is made, your doctor will recommend one of these effective treatments:
- Wearing a CPAP (Continuous Positive Air Pressure) device while you sleep. The CPAP consists of a mask that fits over your mouth and nose. This is connected to a machine that delivers oxygen to you throughout the night.
- Wearing an oral appliance, which holds your lower jaw forward while you sleep. This device keeps your airway open, allowing a free flow of oxygen throughout the night.
To find out more about the causes, signs, symptoms, and treatment of sleep apnea, call the doctors of Winchester Neurological Consultants in Winchester, VA, at (540) 667-1828. Call now, and sleep better soon!