Posts for tag: Concussion
The Concussion Clinic of Winchester Neurological Consultants can help with sports concussions. A concussion is a traumatic brain injury caused by a bump, blow, or jolt to the head causing the brain to move back and forth rapidly, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The jolt to the brain results in chemical changes in the brain which may damage brain cells.
Concussions have a serious effect on a person's health. They're also not easy to diagnose even though they're common even if there's a cut or bruise on your head. In a nutshell, concussions are unseen and signs may take days or weeks to manifest.
Symptoms of a concussion may include:
- feeling dazed
- slurred speech
- balance problems
- blurred vision
- sensitivity to light and noise
- ringing in ears
- behavior or personality changes
- difficulty concentration
- memory loss
The Concussion Care team at Winchester is multidisciplinary. The team consists of athletic trainers at the school level, referrals by a primary care physician and our own Dr. Fowler.
The clinical experts are trusted resources if you want to learn about any of the following:
- Neurological Assessment. This is a review of medical and neurological history, neurological examination, neuro-imaging review, vestibular/balance and cognitive testing
- Baseline ImPACT testing and consultation by someone with credentials from ImPACT
- Post-injury evaluation and coping-mechanism recommendations
- Vestibular rehabilitation
- Assisting students on their path to recovery after a sports injury
- Cognitive testing including ImPACT testing
- Neurotrax testing
- Referrals to neuropsychologists for cognitive evaluations
If you would like to read more about concussions, you can visit the following websites:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- CDC Heads Up/Concussion information
- AAN Concussion Toolkit
- Concussion Quickcheck
If you have any questions or concerns regarding concussions and would like to speak with your doctor in Winchester, VA, then don't hesitate to contact Winchester Neurological Consultants today.