John Y. Choi, MD, MPH
- Vascular neurologist and Director for Neurological Pain Services
- President, CT Division of the Intersocietal Accreditation Society
Clinical Research Studies/Clinical Interests:
- CLOTBUST trial for acute stroke
- Telemedicine for stroke
- Stroke disease
- Pain related to neurological disease
Education and Training:
- B.A., Boston University, Boston, MA
- M.D., Hahnemann University Medical School, Philadelphia, PA
- M.P.H. (Masters of Public Health), University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, TX
- Neurology Residency, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC
- Stroke Fellowship, Washington University, St. Louis, MO
- Neurorehabilitation Fellowship, Washington University, St. Louis, MO
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in Vascular Neurology
- United Council for Neurologic Subspecialties Board Certification in Neuroimaging
- American Society of Neurorehabilitation Certification in Neurorehabilitation
- Licensed Physician, State of Virginia
Professional Committees/Society Memberships:
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Heart Association
- American Society of Neuroimaging
- Jerome SD, Farrell MB, Godiwala T, Heller GV, Bezold LI, Choi JY, Cockroft KM,
- Gornik HL, Katanick SL, Manning WJ. Facility Perception of Nuclear Cardiology Accreditation: Results of an Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) Survey. Journal of Nuclear Cardiology 2014.
- Choi JY, Liebeskind D. ICACTL Update 2009.
- Choi JY, Stroke Awareness Update, Valley Healthlink, 2009.
- Choi JY, Liebeskind D. Acute Stroke Appendix For CT Guidelines. ICACTL, IAC, March 2008.
- Choi JY, Liebeskind D. Acute Stroke Process For CT Guidelines. ASN January 2008.
- Choi JY, The Stroke Stoppers, Valley Healthlink, Summer 2007, pages 6-9.
- Choi JY, co-presenter, Stroke Care Guide for EMS Providers, DVD presentation, sponsored via Virginia Department of Health Office of EMS and the Lord Fairfax EMS Council, May 2007.
- Choi JY, Care Through Telemedicine. Gray Matter Newsletter, 2007; 1:1:3.
- Choi JY, Pary JK, Alexandrov AV, Molina CA, Garami Z, Malkoff MD, Rubiera M, Shaltoni HM, Moye LA, Grotta JC. Does Clinical-CT “Mismatch” Predict Early Response to rt-PA Treatment Cerebrovasc Dis 2006; 22:384-88.
- Choi JY, Porche NA, Albright KC, Khaja AM, Ho VS, Grotta JC. Using Telemedicine to Facilitate Thrombolytic Therapy for Patients with Acute Stroke. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2006; 32(4):199-205.
- Mikulik R, Alexandrov AV, Ribo M, Garami Z, Porche NA, Fulep E, Grotta JC, Alexandrov-Wojner AW, (Choi JY. Telemedicine Guided Carotid and Transcranial Ultrasound: A Pilot Feasibility Study, Stroke 2006 Jan;37(1):229-30.
- Bates B, Choi JY, Duncan PW, Glasberg JJ, Graham GD, Katz RC, Lamberty K, Reker D, Zorowitz R. Veterans Affairs/Department of Defense Clinical Practice Guideline for the Management of Stroke Rehabilitation: Executive Summary. Stroke. 2005;36:2049-56.
- Duncan PW, Zorowitz R, Bates B, Choi JY, Glasberg JJ, Graham GD, Katz RC, Lamberty K, Reker D. Management of Adult Stroke Rehabilitation Care: A Clinical Practice Guideline. Stroke 2005;e100-e143.
- Choi JY, Wojner AW, Cale RT, Gergen P, Degioanni J, Grotta JC. Telemedicine Physician Providers: Augmented Acute Stroke Care Delivery in Rural Texas, An Initial Experience. Telemedicine Journal 2004;10(Suppl 2):S90-4.
- Choi JY, Scarborough TK. Stroke and Seizure Following a Recent Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass. Obesity Surgery 2004, June 14(6):857-60.
- Choi JY, “Telemedicine, the Stroke Team and Memorial-Hermann Hospital,” Neuroscience Research Center Newsletter, 2004, 10:1:1,5.
- Alexandrov A, Choi J, “Diagnostic Evaluation of TIA and Ischemic Stroke.” Kasner SE, Gorelick P (ed). Prevention and Treatment of Ischemic Stroke, Blue Books of Practical Neurology. Butterworth-Heinemann, Philadelphia 2004, pp 67-78.
- Choi J, Hinds S, Feolo G. Evaluating and Managing Stroke in Young Adults. Federal Practitioner, Oct 2003:20(10):58-66.
- Editor for VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guideline Working Group. VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guideline on the Management of Stroke Rehabilitation in the Primary Care Setting. Washington, DC: Office of Quality and Performance, Veterans Health Administration,
- Department of Veterans Affairs; February 2003. Office of Quality and Performance Publication No. 10Q CPG/STR-03. Available at: www.oqp.med.va.gov/cpg/STR/STR_base.htm.
- Marini A, Choi J, Labutta R. Transient Neurological Deficits Associated With Carbamazepine-induced Hypertension. Clin Neuropharmacol. 2003 Jul-Aug;26(4):174-6.
- Starkman S (Chairman), Scott P (Co-Chair), Choi J (Committee member), Provider Support Systems for Acute Stroke NINDS Symposium, 2003 Washington, DC
- Marini AM, Choi J, Labutta R. Synaptic Deprivation and Age-related Vulnerability to Hypoxic-ischemic Neuronal Injury. A Hypothesis. Ann NY Acad Sci 2001 Jun;939:238-53.
- Choi J, Morris J, Hsu CY, “Aging and Cerebrovascular Disease,” Riggs JE (ed), Neurologic Clinic, W.B. Saunders, 1998 Aug;16(3):687-711.