- Founder and Director of the Virginia Comprehensive Epilepsy and Neurodevelopmental Clinic
- Epilepsy and Neurodevelopmental Clinic
- Sleep Disorders Clinic
Clinical Research Studies/Clinical Interests:
- Epilepsy Surgery
- Neuropsychological, Psychiatric, and Behavioral Consequences of Epilepsy
- Novel Class of Molecules Research for treatment of pharmacologically refractory epilepsy.
- Biomedical devices
- Sleep disturbances
Education and Training:
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, School of Medicine
- Doctorate of Philosophy, University of Alabama, Birmingham, Department of Physiology and Biophysics.
- Internship: University of Alabama at Birmingham Hospital, School of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine
- Residency: University of Virginia, Department of Neurology, School of Medicine
- Epilepsy and Neurophysiology, University of Virginia, Department of Neurology, Division of Epilepsy and Neurophysiology, School of Medicine
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, Department of Cell Biology, Research Fellowship.
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Board Certified in Neurology
- Board Certified in Sleep Medicine
- Board Certified in Clinical Neurophysiology
- Board Certified in Epilepsy
- Licensed Physician, State of Virginia
- Licensed Physician, State of Washington
- Licensed Physician, State of New York
Professional Committees/Society Memberships:
- International Society for Neurofeedback and Research
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Society of Nuclear and Molecular Medicine
- Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback
- American Epilepsy Society
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- Epilepsy Foundation of Virginia, Professional Advisory Board
- National Association of Epilepsy Centers
- Lyons PD, Bodamer MF, Lyons EJ, Harry LP, Effective ‘Seizure Detection Device’ In Refractory-Symptomatic Localization Related Epilepsy: A Case Report (2.299) AES, Washington DC 12/2013
- Lyons PD, Selznick L Characteristics of Intractibility in a Community-based Epilepsy Surgery Program. Poster, AES, San Antonio, TX 12/2010.
- Calkins ME, Tepper P, Ruben Gur RC, Daniel Ragland, Go RCP, Klei L ,Savage RM, O’Jile J, Devlin B, Kwentus J , Aliyu MH, Allen T, Bradford LD, Edwards N, Lyons PD, Nimgaonkar VL, Santos AB, & Gur RE Project Among African-Americans to Explore Risks for Schizophrenia (PAARTNERS):Evidence for Impairment and Heritability of Neurocognitive Functioning in Families of Schizophrenia Patients. Am J Psychiatry, 167(4): 459-472, 2010.
- Linkage analysis of schizophrenia in African-American families. Schizophr Res. 2009 Apr;109(1-3):70-9.
- MH Aliyu, Calkins ME, Swanson CL Jr, Lyons PD, Savage RM, May R, Wiener H, McLeod-Bryant S, Nimgaonkar VL, Ragland JD, Gur RE, Gur RC, Bradford LD, Edwards N, Kwentus J, McEvoy JP, Santos AB, McCleod-Bryant S, Tennison C, Go RC, Allen TB; PAARTNERS Study Group. Project among African-Americans to explore risks for schizophrenia (PAARTNERS): recruitment and assessment methods. Schizophr Res. Oct;87 (1-3):32-44, 2006
- Hamilton LA, Aliyu MH, Lyons PD, May R, Swanson CL, Savage R, Go RCP. African American community attitudes and perceptions toward schizophrenia and medical research: an exploratory study, JNMA, 98(1): 18-27, 2006
- Lyons, PD and Benveniste, EN Cleavage of Membrane-associated ICAM-1 from astrocytes: involvement of a metalloprotease, Glia, 22(2): 103-112, 1998.
- Lyons, PD and Blalock, JE Pro-opiomelanocortin gene expression and protein processing in rat mononuclear leukocytes., J. of Neuroimmunology, 78: 47-56, 1997.
- Lyons, PD and Blalock, JE The kinetics of ACTH expression in rat leukocyte subpopulations., J. of Neuroimmunology, 63: 103-112, 1995.