Concussions last longer than many people realize, often causing pain, memory problems, dizziness, and other issues for weeks or months. Fortunately, the treatments offered by the neurologists at Winchester Neurological Consultants in Winchester VA can help you manage your concussion symptoms.
What to do if you have a concussion
You've probably been advised to rest if you have a concussion, and although rest is certainly important, resting alone may not improve all of your symptoms. In addition to headaches, concussions can cause:
- Memory and concentration issues
- Problems with balance and coordination
- Sensitivity to light and sound
- Brain fog
- Personality changes
- Smell and taste changes
- Blurred vision
Whether your concussion occurred on the playing field or a result of an accident or blow to the head, proper treatment in Winchester VA can help you avoid long-term effects from your injury.
If your recovery is taking longer than you expected, you may benefit from an evaluation at Winchester Neurological Associates. Your evaluation may include balance/vestibular testing, imPACT or Neurotrax testing, neuroimaging, and cognitive testing.
Your concussion care team will develop a treatment plan for you based on your symptoms and the results of your tests. Your plan may include one or more of these therapies:
- Cognitive Therapy: Cognitive therapy will help you improve your memory, concentration, multi-tasking abilities, time management, and other problem areas.
- Vestibular Therapy: If vertigo, dizziness, or lightheadedness keep you from doing the things you want to do, vestibular rehabilitation can be helpful. The therapy may include gaze stabilization exercises to help you control your eye movements and decrease dizziness and reading issues. Habituation, balance, and exertional training exercises may also help improve coordination and reduce dizziness and headaches.
- Physical Therapy: Chronic headaches can sometimes be caused by neck injuries that occurred when you suffered your concussion. Physical therapy can help relieve neck pain and headaches and may also help you improve your balance.
- Psychological Counseling: Dealing with the ongoing physical and mental effects of a concussion can be challenging. You'll learn relaxation techniques and skills that will improve your self-confidence and your ability to cope with your symptoms during counseling sessions.
Has your concussion changed your life? Call your neurologists in Winchester VA at Winchester Neurological Associates at (540) 667-1828 to schedule an appointment.